Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Green Chili Stew

With the weather turning colder tomorrow and Thursday, I am getting out my crock pot and fixing one of my cold weather favorites.  This is SUPER easy and healthy.  I haven't had it since last winter and I can't wait to eat it tomorrow. 

Step 1: In a crock-pot add:

4 Chicken Breast
4 carrots pealed and cut in thirds
4 celery cut in thirds
1/2 small yellow onion
4 bay leaves
Enough water to cover everything

Cook on low all day

Step 2: About 30 minutes before dinner
*Shred chicken
*remove carrots, onion, celery, and bay leaves and discard  (I save the carrots for Brynlee)
*skim the fat off the top

add:
shredded chicken
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup chopped fresh onion (I just use the other 1/2 that didn't go in the crock-pot in step 1)
5 cups chicken broth (reserve 1/2 cup and stir in 1/2 C of flour, mix well and add to crock-pot)
4 small cans of mild fire roasted green chillies
1 small can of hot fire roasted green chilies
*Be sure to buy the fire roasted*
salt and pepper to taste

Adding the one can of hot chilies doesn't make it super hot just a little spicy.  I have sometimes added an extra can of the hot because it wasn't spicy enough.  The spicy varies with different brands.  I start out conservative...it's easier to make it more spicy. 

Serve in a bowl with fresh avacado and warm cornbread.

Enjoy!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment